Monday 25 May 2020 
qodsna.ir qodsna.ir

Yemeni air defense forces deter Saudi air raid in Jawf: Army spokesman

The spokesman for Yemeni Armed Forces, Brigadier General Yahya Saree, says the country’s air defense units have managed to thwart a Saudi airstrike against strategic and residential areas in the country’s northern province of al-Jawf.

Saree said a squadron of Saudi F-15 fighter jets sought to bombard areas in the province, located approximately 110 kilometers (68 miles) north of the capital Sana'a, on Monday noon, when the domestically-built and long-range Fater-1 (Innovator-1) surface-to-air missile defense system intercepted the jets and forced them off Yemeni airspace.

The development took place only two days after Yemeni army air defenses intercepted two Saudi-led F-16 warplanes in the skies of Jawf, deterring the aircraft from carrying out any act of aggression.

Earlier that day, the long-range Fater-1 missile defense system had prevented a Saudi-led F-15 military aircraft from launching an aerial attack in the same Yemeni region.

Yemeni armed forces unveiled Fater-1 along with other domestically-built long-range, surface-to-air missile defense systems on February 23.

Yemeni Minister of Defense Major General Mohamed al-Atefy, Chairman of the General Staff Major General Mohamed al-Ghammari and Brigadier General Saree were in attendance during the event.

The systems have entered service following successful tests, the official announced at the time.




Users Comments

Videos

Qods News Agency


©2017 Qods News Agency. All Rights Reserved