Wednesday 22 January 2020 
qodsna.ir qodsna.ir

Israeli forces demolished, seized dozens of Palestinian buildings in 2 weeks: UN

The United Nations says Israeli authorities have demolished or confiscated 39 Palestinian buildings in the occupied West Bank over the past two weeks, on the grounds that they lacked the required construction permits.

As Reported by Qods News Agency (Qodsna) The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said in its biweekly Protection of Civilians Report on Saturday that the Israeli demolitions, which took place between November 12 and 25, led to the displacement of 63 people, and badly affected 380 others.

 

The report added that 35 of the targeted buildings, including two which were being used for humanitarian purposes, were located in the so-called Area C.

 

Area C, which is under full Israeli control, makes up more than 60 percent of the entire occupied West Bank. Eighty eight percent of the area lies in the strategic Jordan Valley, which comprises a third of the occupied West Bank.

 

A US commentator says Israel has a long-term plan for "a greater Israel" through illegal settlement on Palestinian

 

Israeli authorities frequently demolish Palestinian buildings and residences in Area C, with Bedouin and herding communities being particularly vulnerable to that practice.

 

The report added that an area near the town of Za’tarah, located eleven kilometers (6.8 miles) southeast of Bethlehem in the central West Bank, witnessed the highest number of demolitions. The terrain is reportedly

classified as a shooting area for Israeli military training purposes.

 

On November 23, Israeli forces confiscated equipment and cobblestones used to renovate a road and a sidewalk connecting the Bedouin community of Jabal al-Baba to al-Eizariya town in Area C. 

 

The Lebanese foreign minister says the recent demolition of Palestinian homes is part of the Israeli regime’s policy to liquidate the Palestinian cause.

 

According to the UN report, 800 Palestinians in the West Bank have been displaced as a result of Israeli demolitions so far this year, and that the figure is almost double the number of those displaced during the same period last year.

 

Last month, an Israeli rights group said Israeli authorities had demolished at least 140 Palestinian homes in occupied East Jerusalem al-Quds so far this year.

 

B'Tselem said on October 24 that 238 Palestinians, including 127 minors, had lost their homes to demolitions this year.

 

The second-highest number of demolitions on record was in 2016, when 92 homes were demolished.




Related Contents

Israeli aircraft bomb Gaza Strip for 2nd time in 24 hours

Israeli aircraft bomb Gaza Strip for 2nd time in 24 hours

Israeli military aircraft have carried out a fresh round of airstrikes against targets in the northern part of the Gaza Strip as the Tel Aviv regime continues with its acts of aggression against the besieged Palestinian coastal sliver.

|

Users Comments

Videos

Qods News Agency


©2017 Qods News Agency. All Rights Reserved