All That Remains: The Palestinian Villages Occupied and Depopulated by Israel in 1948
The culmination of nearly six years of research by more than thirty participants, this authoritative reference work describes in detail the more than 400 Palestinian villages that were destroyed or depopulated during the 1948 war.
Going beyond the scope of previously published accounts, All That Remains has relied extensively on field research to pinpoint the precise location of village sites through former residents and guides. The body of the text is devoted to the villages themselves; each village entry comprises statistical data and several narrative sections.
These last include a section on the village before 1948 summarizing its history from a wide variety of Arab and Western sources and synthesizing information about the villages topography, architecture, institutions, and economic activity.
Village entries also include a section, based on Israeli as well as Arab accounts, focusing on the military operations that led to the conquest of the village. Finally, entries contain a description of the current status of the site, including post-1948 Israeli settlements established on confiscated village lands. Several hundred photographs, a number of informative maps, and five valuable appendices enhance the text.
About the Author(s)
Born in the occupied al-Quds ('Jerusalem'), Walid Khalidi was educated at the University of London and Oxford University. He taught at Oxford, the American University of Beirut, and Harvard. Khalidi is a cofounder of the Institute for Palestine Studies (IPS, Beirut), of which he was general secretary until recently. He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and a cofounder of the Royal Scientific Society, Amman. He currently serves as President of the Institute for Palestine Studies (IPSUS, Washington, DC).
Publisher(s): Institute for Palestine Studies
Publication Date: 1992
Number of Pages: 636